Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
State Library of Iowa

1913 Yearbook

1913 Yearbook


1913 Yearbook


however, responded to the occasion most nobly. From the tout of the whistle, they
sprang into the fray with a dash and determination that immediately threw the Reserves on the defensive. Backward and forward over the field the two teams struggled,
neither seeming to gain any marked advantage. It was in the second quarter that
McGinnis, receiving a punt, cut his way through the enemy's territory for 80 yards,
and placed the ball behind Cornell's goal line. Kennedy kicked goal and we were 7
points to the good. More stubborn battling marked the following quarters. Then just
as the whistle was about to sound, Cornell negotiated a long forward-pass, which resulted in a touch-down. But their goal-kicker failed in his attempt at goal, and the
game was ours by a small margin. It was the most exciting and hardest fought battle ever played on the local gridiron. In the third quarter, the ball, on a penalty, was
placed on the St. Ambrose three-yard line. Then did their fighting spirit show itself.
Four times did the Cornell quarter smash his backs into the St. Ambrose line on
straight-line bucks and shift-plays, and four times did the Blue and White in desperation hurl themselves at their heavier foes and hold them fast. Then Kennedy,
behind his own line, punted out, but the ball was brought back again to the ten-yard
line. Again Cornell smashed the line three times and failed. On the fourth down,
they tried a forward-pass, which was intercepted by Kennedy, who brought the ball
out of dangerous territory. The work of Haley and Morrissey on defense, and that
of Dowd and Michalek, was exceptionally good, of the premier class.
The Thanksgiving game marked the close of the season, and was perhaps more
bitterly contested than even the Cornell game. In athletics there is an intense yet
friendly rivalry existing between St. Joseph's College and St. Ambrose. This was their
first meeting on the gridiron, and interest was at fever heat. The advantage was
with St. Joseph's, who were playing on their home grounds, and naturally had the
support of many of the spectators. Each team made a touch-down, and a successful
try for goal. The final count was 7 to 7. A fumble of a forward-pass within Dubuque's goal lost to us our chance of carrying off the honors, and St. Joseph's opportunity came to naught when each of three attempts at a field goal failed. Baxter made the touch-down for St. Ambrose, dashing down the field for forty yards. The work of the plunging full-back, Morrissey, and Dowd's exceptionally fine and persistent
action at center, proved unsurmountable obstacles, leading to the doom of the opponents. Dowd, time after time, hurled himself over the opposing center, breaking up plays before they were scarcely underway. No less worthy of comment was the aggressiveness of Montgomery and Flattery. In fact, every man on the team comes in for
full mead of praise. Nothing was wanting either in team-work or in individual playing.
Three men had played their final game, and regretfully do we mark their passing.
Haley was a star athlete, participating in all three of the leading sports and ranking
with all the leaders in college sports. Michalek was a steady, consistent player, proving
himself at all times dependable. Captain Portel was an excellent field general, firing
his men with that strenuous and aggressive spirit he himself so abundantly possessed.
All three were fighters of the first class, loyal to the core, and they leave with their
Alma Mater a record worthy of her in every respect.




St. Ambrose University, 518 W. Locust St., Davenport, IA 52803