Penn Academy started as Friend's High School on November 5th, 1872. John W. Woody was the first principal with Mary Chawner Woody and Anna Gove as additional teachers. When Penn College opened on September 24, 1873, the high school continued as the Prepatory Department of Penn College. Finally from 1888-89, Penn Academy became its own school, with an independent staff, and Elmer H. Gifford serving as the first principal. Penn Academy started as a two-year school, became a three-year school in 1882, and then became a four-year school in 1911. The Academy was closed in 1927. Graduating Class includes: Mary Barnes, Sam Barnes, Mabel Bass, Theron Coffin, Earl Colville, Nina Colville, Edith Davenport, Olive Dimmitt, Lucile Dye, John Eveland, Mary Eveland, Eleanor Eves, Edna Frush, Genevieve Goodwin, Dorothy Holt, Bryan Jessup, Anita Kesley, Paul Kinsman, Dena Lower, Rufus McCracken, Edith McLandsborough, Larkin Martin, Alma Masteller, Dwight Michener, Eesther Nicholson, Hazel Norris, Charles Ott, Henry Prine, Hazel Stanton, Harold Tessmann Stewart White, Gail Wilhoit, Esther Williams, and Wallace Williams.
William Penn University; Wilcox Library Digital Archives