In 1890, Miss Amy Hutchinson came to Penn College as its first Music Professor in both vocal and instrumental. Over 75 students enrolled in her department. After the three years she worked at Penn, the Music Department became a well-established part of Penn's curriculum. L. F. Burnett came to the department in 1900. He later started the Penn choir and glee club. J. Worth Allen joined the Music Department in 1907-08. He was one of the most efficient directors in the state at the time. He instructed banjo, mandolin, guitar, and wind instruments. He also organized the Penn Orchestra, and did much to develop musical activities on campus.
William Penn University; Wilcox Library Digital Archives