A gentleman who was a part of the Oskaloosa Band Tradition.The first settlers deep love of music led to the creation of the Municipal Band in 1864. The band became known as the Knights Templar band in 1880. In 1882 a double-deck bandstand was erected in Oskaloosa's central park, where the band started playing Saturday evenings. By 1890 the band became known as the Knights of Pythias. In 1904 the band was invited to play in the World's Fair in St. Louis, and became popular throughout neighboring states. In 1907 and 1908, Oskaloosa had two band playing Saturday evenings: The Iowa Brigade Band (formally Knights of Pythias) and LaRue's Band, a band hired by the merchants of High Avenue West to compete with the Brigade Band. In 1912 the bandstand was remodeled into its current form, and the Iowa Brigade Band became the Oskaloosa Municipal Band soon thereafter.
C. L. Barnhouse Company