Construction of the Letter P on the north campus. The Letter P was on the back campus on the north side of the college and begun in 1919 by the classes of 1922 and 1923. The students wanted to provide an insignia, begin a freshman tradition and establish an area of campus for school celebrations. Each year the sophomore class would pass the care of the P to the freshman class in a fall ceremony with speeches and music. Each class filled in the outline of the P with a stone that was engraved with their class year. The inside of the P was set for a bond fire. The P served as the symbol for Oskaloosa on air maps.
William Penn University; Wilcox Library Digital Archives