The Spaulding factory came into the possession of the Spaulding company in 1876. It suffered through a tornado in 1882 when the "factory was virtually demolished" according to the Des Moines Tribune. A fire in March 1893 caused $60,000 in damage. In October 1909, workmen began extending the west end and added a third floor to the main factory. Over the next five years, two 6,000 foot additions were added to the south, extending from the east and west ends.
This digital image may be used for educational purposes, as long as it is not altered in any way. No commercial reproduction or distribution of this file is permitted without written permission of Grinnell Public Library. See http://www.grinnell.lib.ia.us/files/copyright.htm
Finding Aid - Collection 17, Box 1
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm.
Grinnell Public Library Archives
Digital Reproduction Information
Description 1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm.
Contact Grinnell Public Library http://www.grinnell.lib.ia.us
Digital item created
November 21, 2005