Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
State Library of Iowa

0102 Fairfield Congregational Church


0102 Fairfield Congregational Church


The Congregational Church was the first church to be organized in Fairfield. It was organized December 21, 1839 and in 1840 construction of a church building was begun. The church was built between the blacksmith ship and the old building used as a second hand store just west of the southwest corner of the square. The building was 22 30 with no tower or steeple. The first church bell in Fairfield was hung on a tripod in the back of the church. The first pastor was Rev. Julius A. Reed. The first Deacons were Deacon Loomis and Deacon Cole. In 1852, that building was torn down and the picture shows the present building standing.


Fairfield Public Library




U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact the Fairfield Public Library at 641-472-6551