Iowa Heritage Digital Collections
State Library of Iowa

Women's chemistry class, 1915

Women's chemistry class, 1915

Title

Women's chemistry class, 1915

Description

A chemistry class for women. A notation on the reverse reads: ""2nd Floor-East--Room now a corridor leading into PSRR (Physical Science Reading Room) on second floor of O & L Bldg. (Office & Lab Building). Class taught by Nellie Naylor."" Naylor, a long-time faculty member,received a B.A. (1908) from the State University of lowa (University of lowa in lowa City); an M.S. (1918) from lowa State College (University); and a Ph.D. (1923) from Columbia University. She started teaching at lowa State as a Chemistry Assistant in 1909. Except for when she was studying elsewhere, Naylor remained at lowa State until 1955, when she retired as Associate Professor of Chemistry. Her personal papers (RS 13/6/51) are part of the Archives of Women in Science and Engineering, Iowa State University Library.
The Iowa Agricultural College and Model Farm offered chemistry classes to its first classes in 1869. The department was formally established in 1871, and served students in Agriculture, Engineering, Science, Home Economics and Veterinary Medicine. The Chemical and Physical Laboratory was constructed in 1870-1871, and after it burned in 1913, a new building, Chemistry Hall, was built to replace it. Department Chair, Winfred Coover (1914-1944) expanded the teaching system and emphasized independent research throughout World War I and the post-war period. With the advent of the Ames Laboratory and World War II, the Chemistry Department further developed its cutting edge and interdisciplinary research programs in addition to its teaching. In 1973, Chemistry Hall was renamed Gilman Hall, in honor of Distinguished Professor of Chemistry, Henry Gilman. The Department also has laboratories, classrooms and offices in Hach Hall. The Chemistry Department is now part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Iowa State University, and also frequently partners with the Ames Laboratory.

Creator

Iowa State University

Source

13-6-F.Chemistry.1052-1-6

Publisher

Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html

Date

1915
2005-10-07

Rights

U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections archives@iastate.edu For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html

Relation

University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html

Format

Photograph
22.2 x 19.2 cm

Type

Still Image (grayscale)
Image

Identifier

13-6-F.Chemistry.1052-1-6
http://cdm16001.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15031coll15/id/370