A class of 21 Dairying students in 1892 or 1893 with the cheese vats in the cheese processing laboratory.
The first coursework specifically on dairying was offered at the Iowa Agricultural College in 1880 and included instruction on the breeding and care of dairy cows, milk composition and production, and manufacturing of cheese and butter. In 1890, the Iowa Agricultural College Board of Trustees approved the building of the College creamery and the beginnings of a dairy program. The Department of Dairying was established in 1898 and included: a four-year course, a one-year course, a winter course, and a summer course. Graduate work was first offered in 1911. The name of the department changed to the Department of Dairy Industry in 1928, then to the Department of Dairy and Food Industry in 1957. In 1961, it became the Department of Dairy and Food Industries and in 1969, the name and curriculum were changed to the Department of Food Technology. In 1990, the department merged with the Department of Food and Nutrition to form the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition.
Iowa State University
Iowa State University Library Special Collections; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/index.html
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections firstname.lastname@example.org For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
University Photographs; http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/collections/images.html
22.9 x 18.1 cm
Still Image (color)