This is a page from the collection "Bicentennial Reflections: History of Des Moines Public Schools, 1876-1976" by Dr. Robert R. Denny, published by the Des Moines Public Schools in Des Moines, Iowa in 1976.
In 1859 the Des Moines school district, previously one entity, fractioned off into wards. West High School was in the Fourth Ward. On July 1, 1864 the board voted to open the high school. West was the largest high school in Iowa. It moved to the…
NEW FACES AND JOBS IN 1966-67
Reverend Thomas Dinges,
Professor of Religion
Mr. Dougherty of the Language Dep't. leaves his Davis Hall
office for the Spanish classroom.
Sr. Annette Walters, Dep't. of Psychology
Ronald De John
Darrell De Joode
This sepia picture shows the west half of the south side of the square in the late 1870's. It shows a furniture store, a grocer, boots and shoes, a milliner and another grocer. There is a dog in the middle of the street and a horse and buggy parked…